This website uses cookies to ensure site visitors get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies and Privacy Statement. To find out more, please visit Southern University's Privacy Statement.

I agree

Veteran Center

Q: I'm a U.S. veteran or service member. Where do I go to apply for benefits?

A: Visit the V.A. Regional Office at 1250 Poydras St. Suite 200 or apply online at


Q: Can I receive college credit for my military training?

A: Any military training you received that may qualify for college credit is evaluated by the SUNO’s registers office. Contact your Military branch and have the transcripts sent to the office of the register.

  1. Army, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marines: l
  2. Air Force:
  3. Log in to the A.F. Portal and further to AFVEC (Air Force Virtual Education Center) --> 2. Under Self Service, click "CCAF View Progress Report."          
  4. In the "Transcripts" drop-down, click "Order a Transcript.”


Q: What documents do I need to submit to the V.A. Office to receive my V.A. educational benefits?

A: After the student is accepted to SUNO, the student complete the veteran’s application for benefits at, the following must be provided to the Veterans Affairs Office:

  1. Degree plan for a program of study
  2. Degree Checklist
  3. Certificate of Eligibility
  4. Enrollment Certification Verification Form (signed by both the student and their advisor)


Q: How many months of V.A. educational benefits do I have left?

A: How many months a student has for their V.A. education benefit can be found in the following ways:

  1. It will be on the letter you receive in the mail once you are certified
  2. Asking the Certifying Official
  3. Calling the V.A. Hotline at 888-442-4551
  4. Going to the Regional Office at 1250 Poydras St. Suite 200


Q: Do I need to reapply for my V.A. educational benefits every semester?

A: After your initial registration for educational benefits has been completed, you will only need to resubmit an Enrollment Certification Form each semester.


Q: Will VA educational benefits cover the cost of remedial or developmental courses?

A: All VA benefits will allow payment of remedial or developmental courses if required as a prerequisite for another course in your major.


Q: What happens if I change my schedule after I submit my SUNO Veterans Certification Request Form?

A: You must submit a SUNO Veterans ADD/DROP Veterans Form that reflects the updated schedule.  For students that are adding classes, they must ensure that the classes are within their degree plan.  If you are withdrawing from a course, please let the V.A. Office know so that you don’t receive a debt.


Q: What is the deadline for submitting my Veterans Certification Request Form?

A: The earlier you submit your paperwork, the better.  Forms submitted before the week of registration will be taken to the Cashiers' office (final step of registration) by the V.A. office.  Any documents submitted during or after registration, the student will be responsible for completing this process. V.A. education benefits can be awarded one year after the student has enrolled for the semester.


Q: If I fail a class, will I have to pay anything back to the V.A.?

A: NO, you do not have to pay the V.A. back if you do not pass a course. Furthermore, VA will pay for you to retake the class if it is required for graduation.


Q: How do I drop (withdraw) from a class, and will doing so affect my V.A. educational benefits?

A: If you drop a course before the beginning of the semester or in the first ten days, it will not affect your V.A. educational benefits.  However, if you drop a course after ten days or withdraw from the university, you will have to pay back the monies given to you for those courses.  Once VAOnce updates, the V.A. has an option to send you a notice of the debt.


Q: How do I get a copy of my DD214?

A: There are several places you can get a copy of your DD214 from Ebenefits to the Louisiana Department of Veteran Affairs.  Please go to the V.A. Office, where they will give you a copy.


Q: When do I start to receive my V.A. educational benefits?

A: The VA will process your benefits as quickly as possible, but this can take several weeks from the first time you apply. Once you are in the V.A. system, though – and if you submit your SUNO Veterans Certification Request Form before the start of each semester – your benefits should be provided to you continuously (with monthly stipends paid at the end of each month during a semester).


Q: What if I’m called to active duty?

A: SUNO recognizes and appreciates the significant contributions made by active duty, Reserve, and National Guard members. To accommodate these students, University Policy abides by the Louisiana Board of Regents Academic Affairs Policy 2.21 using the following options:

  1. Receive course grades for the current semester for each enrolled course with the grade earned when they were called into active duty.
  2. Receive incomplete for all courses if approved by instructors.
  3. Withdraw from all current semester courses.
  4. Continue enrollment (if feasible) with accommodations


Steps to follow when leaving the University for Active Military Duty

  • Provide a copy of military orders to the Office of Veteran Affairs. If the student chooses to complete the semester courses via an incomplete and if time permits, please follow the appropriate procedures for course completion. If the professor approves an incomplete grade, the student and professor should complete an Incomplete Grade Form, available in the Registrar’s Office. The instructor must initiate the incomplete grade form, and the reason stated for the incomplete grade(s), as follows: -- called to Active Military Duty.

  • If the military obligation does not permit adequate time to finalize grades or withdrawal, please contact the Office of Veteran Affairs. They will act on the student’s behalf to inform the appropriate persons and/or departments of call to active military duty and assist in finalizing grades or withdrawal. Any grading options and planning for course completion, as agreed upon by instructors, will be documented. The student will be asked to advise the Office of Veteran Affairs whether he wishes to accept the grading option available.

  • If administrative drops or a withdrawal are to be processed, the program retention counselor should initiate them. Reasons for withdrawal/administrative drop should state -- called to Active Military Duty.

  • If the student chooses to remain enrolled, the Office of Veteran Affairs will provide the necessary documentation to the professors.  This documentation will include the duration of the obligation, and the professor will provide reasonable accommodations.

The selected option may depend on the student’s situation, the time remaining in the academic semester, and the course completion agreements. Contact the Office of Veteran Affairs to discuss military activation status and answer any questions regarding the above procedures/options.