Q: I'm a U.S. veteran or service member. Where do I go to apply for benefits?
Q: Can I receive college credit for my military training?
- Army, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marines: https://jst.doded.mil/smart/dodMandatoryBannerForm/submit.do l
- Air Force:
- Log in to the A.F. Portal and further to AFVEC (Air Force Virtual Education Center) --> 2. Under Self Service, click "CCAF View Progress Report."
- In the "Transcripts" drop-down, click "Order a Transcript.”
Q: What documents do I need to submit to the V.A. Office to receive my V.A. educational benefits?
- Degree plan for a program of study
- Degree Checklist
- Certificate of Eligibility
- Enrollment Certification Verification Form (signed by both the student and their advisor)
Q: How many months of V.A. educational benefits do I have left?
- It will be on the letter you receive in the mail once you are certified
- Asking the Certifying Official
- Calling the V.A. Hotline at 888-442-4551
- Going to the Regional Office at 1250 Poydras St. Suite 200
Q: Do I need to reapply for my V.A. educational benefits every semester?
Q: Will VA educational benefits cover the cost of remedial or developmental courses?
Q: What happens if I change my schedule after I submit my SUNO Veterans Certification Request Form?
Q: What is the deadline for submitting my Veterans Certification Request Form?
Q: If I fail a class, will I have to pay anything back to the V.A.?
Q: How do I drop (withdraw) from a class, and will doing so affect my V.A. educational benefits?
Q: How do I get a copy of my DD214?
Q: When do I start to receive my V.A. educational benefits?
Q: What if I’m called to active duty?
- Receive course grades for the current semester for each enrolled course with the grade earned when they were called into active duty.
- Receive incomplete for all courses if approved by instructors.
- Withdraw from all current semester courses.
- Continue enrollment (if feasible) with accommodations
Steps to follow when leaving the University for Active Military Duty
- Provide a copy of military orders to the Office of Veteran Affairs. If the student chooses to complete the semester courses via an incomplete and if time permits, please follow the appropriate procedures for course completion. If the professor approves an incomplete grade, the student and professor should complete an Incomplete Grade Form, available in the Registrar’s Office. The instructor must initiate the incomplete grade form, and the reason stated for the incomplete grade(s), as follows: -- called to Active Military Duty.
- If the military obligation does not permit adequate time to finalize grades or withdrawal, please contact the Office of Veteran Affairs. They will act on the student’s behalf to inform the appropriate persons and/or departments of call to active military duty and assist in finalizing grades or withdrawal. Any grading options and planning for course completion, as agreed upon by instructors, will be documented. The student will be asked to advise the Office of Veteran Affairs whether he wishes to accept the grading option available.
- If administrative drops or a withdrawal are to be processed, the program retention counselor should initiate them. Reasons for withdrawal/administrative drop should state -- called to Active Military Duty.
- If the student chooses to remain enrolled, the Office of Veteran Affairs will provide the necessary documentation to the professors. This documentation will include the duration of the obligation, and the professor will provide reasonable accommodations.
The selected option may depend on the student’s situation, the time remaining in the academic semester, and the course completion agreements. Contact the Office of Veteran Affairs to discuss military activation status and answer any questions regarding the above procedures/options.