Museum Studies | Mission, Vision and Core Values
Realizing the need to develop more equitable, diverse and inclusive cultural institutions, the mission of the Master of Arts in Museum Studies Program is to educate and train a diverse student population to be professionals and leaders in the museum and arts sectors. Through a balanced approach between theory and practice, students gain in-depth knowledge about several aspects of the African Diaspora and museum work, including collections management, exhibition design, museum education, audience engagement, digital strategies, and community involvement.
As the only program of its kind in the state of Louisiana, the Master of Arts in Museum Studies Program positions itself as a major regional and national hub for intellectual discussions in the museum studies discipline, particularly around issues related to diversity, inclusion and social justice in museums.
- Raising the consciousness of the importance and necessity of culture and tolerance in our lives;
- Intellectual honesty, integrity, and ethical conduct;
- Professionalism in museum work;
- Critical thinking and theoretical discourse;
- Program quality and excellence;
- Innovation and leadership;
- Diversity and inclusion
- A balance of theory and practice; and,
- In-depth, hands-on, Practicum experiences