Responsible Employees and Confidential Advisors
What is a Responsible Employee?
The Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights defines a responsible employee has an individual, (a) who has the authority to take action to redress sexual harassment/misconduct, (b) who has been given the duty of reporting incidents of sexual harassment/misconduct or any other misconduct by students to the Title IX chairperson or other appropriate designees; or (c) who a student reasonably believes has this authority or duty. A Responsible Employee must promptly notify the Title IX Chairperson of any report of sexual misconduct brought to his or her attention, including campus law enforcement. The Title IX Chairperson works collaboratively with the reporting entity, making every effort to operate with discretion and maintain the privacy of the individuals involved.
Responsible Employees for SUNO are as follows:
- Members of the Board of Supervisors
- Vice Presidents and Vice Chancellors
- Assistant/Associate Vice Presidents and Assistant/Associate Vice Chancellors
- Title IX Chairperson/Co-Chairperson
- Campus Police
- Human Resources Director and Staff
- Residential Life and Housing Directors and Staff (including RAs)
- Deans and Assistant/Associate Deans
- Departmental Directors, Assistant/Associate Directors, and Coordinators
- Athletics Administrators, Staff, Coaches and Assistant Coaches
- Academic Department Chairs and Assistant/Associate Chairs
- Academic Faculty (full-time and part-time)
- Faculty/Staff Leading or Chaperoning Travel
- Faculty/Staff Advisors to Student Organizations
A Confidential Advisor is not obligated to report incidents of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator or law enforcement in a way that identifies a complainant or respondent unless otherwise required to do so by law. The Confidential Advisor shall, to the extent authorized under law, provide confidential services to students.
Incidents of sexual misconduct also may be reported confidentially to the following Confidential Advisors:
Josephine Okoronkwo, Ph.D.
Director, Student Development| International Center
6400 Press Drive
2nd Floor, University Center
New Orleans, LA 70126
Keshaneoco Johnson, MSW
Director, Office of Career Services & Veteran Affairs
University Center Suite 207
Southern University at New Orleans
6400 Press Drive NOLA 70126