Title IX | Policies
Sexual Misconduct Policy
Sexual Misconduct is considered a sexual act or contact of a sexual nature that occurs, regardless of personal relationship, without the consent of the other person(s), or that occurs when the person(s) is unable to give consent or whose consent is coerced or obtained in a fraudulent manner.
As defined by the Louisiana Board of Regents, sexual misconduct includes, but is not limited to, sexual assault, sexual abuse, violence of a sexual nature, sexual harassment, non-consensual sexual intercourse, sexual exploitation, video voyeurism, contact of a sexual nature with an object, or the obtaining, posting or disclosure of intimate descriptions, photos or videos without the express consent of the person(s) depicted therein, as well as dating violence, domestic violence and stalking.
Some examples of misconduct include:
- Pressure for a date or a romantic or intimate relationship
- Unwelcome touching, kissing, hugging or massaging
- Pressure for or forced sexual activity
- Unnecessary and unwelcome references to various parts of the body
- Belittling remarks about a person's gender or belittling remarks about a person's sexual orientation based in gender-stereotyping
- Inappropriate sexual innuendos or humor
- Videotaping and photographing someone or people without consent
- Obscene gestures of a sexual or gender-based nature
- Offensive sexual graffiti, pictures or posters
- Sexually explicit profanity
- Use of e-mail, Internet or other forms of digital media to facilitate any of the above-referenced behaviors
SUNO utilizes the term "sexual misconduct" to encompass all behaviors that involve violations of an individual's rights specifically manifested by sexual behavior and actions. Accordingly, this term is inclusive of forms of inappropriate behavior that are linked with the sex/gender of the complainant and/or respondent. These behaviors, when deemed to have occurred, deprives an individual of their rights, and/or access to education or employment which constitutes a violation of SUNO's Sexual Misconduct Policy.