Disability Services | File For Grievance

Grievance Policy


Students with disabilities should contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities if they believe that the University, faculty and/or staff are not accommodating their disability. You have the right to submit a formal complaint if accommodations are not implemented in an effective and timely manner. The Director and Staff will work with University personnel and the students to resolve disagreements regarding recommended accommodations.


A grievance is a complaint or allegation that a qualified individual with a disability has been excluded from participation in program activities or has been denied the benefits of ADA or Section 504 status.


  1. The complaint should be addressed to the Director of the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities in the Emmett Bashful Administration Building, Room 204. If the dispute cannot be resolved on this level, existing appeals in the respective colleges should be employed. Faculty members who question accommodation should continue to afford the accommodation to the student while the appeals procedure is addressed.
  2. The complaint may be made verbally or in writing, preferably in writing, and must provide the name and address of the person filing it and a brief description of the alleged violation.
  3. All complaints alleging a violation of ADA or Section 504 must be made in writing to the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities within thirty days. The written complaint should specify the time, place and nature of the act claimed to be in violation.
  4. The Director of the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities will investigate all pertinent facts in support of the alleged violation and may attempt resolution of the complaint through mutual agreement of the affected parties during the course of the investigation. If an agreement is reached, the investigation will end. The terms and condition of the resolution shall be issued to charging party, appropriate administrator or department if applicable within ten days for review and signatures. 
  5. Where resolution through mutual agreement is not achieved, written findings from the investigation regarding cause and recommendation for resolution will be forwarded to the charging part, responsible administrator of the department charged. 
  6. The Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs shall take the final action on the recommendation. A consultation will be provided by the Director of Services for Students with Disabilities.  
  7. A complainant who believes that his/her grievance has not been handled appropriately should bring this to the attention of the Director of Services for Students with Disabilities.

This website uses cookies to ensure site visitors get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies and Privacy Statement. To find out more, please visit Southern University's Privacy Statement.