Freshman Applicants and Requirements
Applicants for admission to SUNO are reviewed based on their academic achievements during their time at an accredited high school or on GED scores as well as their scores on either the SAT or ACT examinations. Southern University at New Orleans is a member of the Southern University System, the only system of publicly funded, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) in the nation. It is mandated by the Louisiana Board of Regents that specific courses are required for any student that seeks admission to any school within the Southern System. These are known as the Regents Core Requirements. Each student applying to Southern University at New Orleans must successfully complete the following coursework:
Louisiana High School Graduates
Admissions requirements for first-time first-year students to four-year institutions include:
A. Completion of a High School Curriculum, AND
B. Additional Requirements by Institution Type
A. Completion of a High School Curriculum: Meet requirements of one of the following four options.
Out-of-State High School Graduates, GED or Home Schooled
- Option 1: Complete the same requirements as Louisiana high school graduates.
- Option 2: At least 17 of the 19 units of the Louisiana Board of Regents High School Core Curriculum (this document is attached), no more than one developmental course, minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0, core GPA of 2.0, and ACT composite score of at least 20.
- Option 3: ACT composite score of at least 23 and no more than one developmental course needed.
It is mandated by the Louisiana Board of Regents that specific courses are required for any student that seeks admission. These are known as the Regents Core Requirements. Each student applying to Southern University at New Orleans must successfully complete the following coursework:
- 4 units of English
- English I, II, III, and IV
- 4 units of Mathematics
- Algebra I/Applied Algebra I/Algebra I-Pt. 2
- Geometry/Applied Geometry
- Algebra II
- Financial Math/Math Essentials/Advanced: Pre-Calculus/Advanced: Functions & Statistics/Pre-Calculus/Calculus/Probability and Statistics/Discrete Math/Approved Electives
- 4 units of Science
- 2 units from: Physical Science/Integrated Science/Physics I/Physics of Technology I/Aerospace Science/Biology II/Chemistry II/Earth Science/Environmental Science/Physics II/Physics of Technology II/Agriscience II/Anatomy and Physiology/Approved Electives (including approved IBC-related course)
- 4 units of Social Studies
- Civics/AP American Government + Free Enterprise (1/2 unit each)
- American History
- World History/World Geography/Western Civilization/AP European History
- World History/World Geography/Western Civilization/AP European History/Law Studies/Psychology/Sociology/Civics (2nd semester, 1/2 unit)/African American Studies/approved IBC-related course/(Religion I, II, III, IV for nonpublic schools)
- 2 units of Foreign Language
- 2 units from same language or 2 Speech courses
- 1 unit of Arts
- Fine Arts Survey or 1 unit: Art/Dance/Music/Theatre Arts/Applied Arts/approved IBC-related course
- SUNO requires applicants to submit SAT or ACT scores for admission. Freshman applicants under 24 years of age must submit official SAT or ACT scores.
- Applicants for whom English is their second language must submit scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) in addition to any other required test scores.
· SAT - 1647 ACT - 1611 TOEFL – 6711
*ACCUPLACER placement test may be used for placement.