Cybersecurity Adjunct Professor
The Division of Academic Affairs at Southern University at New Orleans, a public, historically black university, is committed to empowering and promoting the upward mobility of diverse populations of traditional and nontraditional students through quality academic programs, teaching, research, and service to achieve excellence in higher education using various teaching and learning modalities. Students and faculty are encouraged to help create a thriving academic environment at SUNO.
As such, faculty of the program are expected to be committed to the standards of teaching excellence. This requirement will include the ability teach undergraduate courses which may include evening, weekend and/or hybrid courses; advise students; engage in teaching practices with an acute focus on documenting student learning; serve on faculty committees; attend departmental, faculty and other meetings, attend College convocations.
Our adjunct cybersecurity faculty serves to augment the regular faculty. The ideal candidate will be able to teach a wide range of undergraduate and graduate courses in cybersecurity and core computing courses. Preference will be given to candidates with backgrounds and teaching experience in cybersecurity fundamentals, network security, programming, Linux, penetration testing, cloud security, cyber analytics, cyber risk management, cyber operations, contingency planning, and security architecture. In addition to teaching excellence, faculty are expected to engage in scholarly activity and participate in service to the community and institution.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Foster a culture of inclusive excellence through authentic relationships with students as an educator and mentor.
- Teach assigned courses in accordance with catalog course descriptions and academic specifications.
- Furnish each student and the chair's office with a course syllabus, which follows the prescribed format, including evaluation procedures, withdrawal procedures, class attendance, and other policies consistent with university procedures.
- Keep accurate and up-to-date records on all students.
- Submit grade reports on or before deadlines according to college procedures.
- Monitor and assess student-learning outcomes and provide timely and frequent feedback to students on academic performance.
- Collaborate with cybersecurity faculty to deliver high-quality instruction.
- Deliver content in online and/or hybrid formats.
- May be assigned to supervise students during cyber competitions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of college students that come from diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic and racial backgrounds.
- Develop positive rapport with colleagues and other members of the campus community to develop a sense of teamwork.
- Strong analytical, observational, and problem-solving skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to be self-directed and solve problems effectively and efficiently
- Strong organizational skills
- Positive and professional demeanor
Required education and experience
- M.S in Cybersecurity, Computer Science or Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or a closely related discipline from an accredited institution by the start date of the appointment.
Preferred education and experience
- Academic preparation and teaching experience in Cybersecurity, Computer Science or Engineering, Computer Information Systems, or a closely related discipline education.
- Teaching experience in online and/or in-person formats.
- Three years Industry experience in the candidate’s field of expertise.
- Professional certifications (e.g., A+, Sec+, CISSP, CEH, CISM) are a plus.