The Small Business Development & Management Institute (SBDMI) was created by the Louisiana State Legislature in 1985 to provide high-quality technical assistance and small business incubation to small and emerging businesses in the Greater New Orleans Area and the surrounding parishes through one-on-one counseling, seminars, workshops, entrepreneurial training classes, business outreach and support activities.
Additionally, the SBDMI will provide hands-on learning through small business development activities between clients and the College of Business and Public Administration faculty and students.
To position small and emerging businesses to become a vital force in the economic development of this community and the state of Louisiana by increasing entrepreneurship, empowering businesses through the development of sustained financial strategies, providing education and training for the workforce of the small and emerging businesses, and securing procurement opportunities for these businesses.
To enhance the economic well-being of the citizens of Greater New Orleans and the surrounding regions by providing comprehensive, high-quality technical assistance to existing and potential small businesses, and to promote the formation and growth of small businesses to expand and diversify the local and regional economy.
The Institute fulfills its mission by providing basic professional management consultancy services through individual counseling, business seminars/workshops, small business incubation and a large collection of business information resources. The SBDMI has identified its target markets as those individuals in the pre-venture stage, start-up businesses and on-going businesses that are primarily comprised of 1-20 employees.
- Provide entrepreneurs and small business owners opportunities to learn more about starting and managing their small business.
- Provide entrepreneurs and small business owners management and technical assistance in planning, implementing and controlling their ventures.
- Provide a research support system that generates information for entrepreneurs and small business owners that relates to starting and managing small businesses.
- Establish and maintain an environment conducive to business incubation that will contribute to business faculty and student academic growth through hands-on learning that will enable business students to acquire skills and abilities necessary for careers in business, industry and entrepreneurship.
- Promote the growth of workforce development opportunities for small businesses to expand and diversify the local and regional economy.
- Increase partnerships in the SUNO community and the community at large by creating links to other departments at SUNO, local businesses, for-profit and non-profit organizations and government agencies to foster economic development opportunities.