Applicants for admission to SUNO are reviewed based on their academic achievements during their time at an accredited high school or on GED scores as well as their scores on either the SAT or ACT examinations.
It is mandated by the Louisiana Board of Regents that specific courses are required for any student that seeks admission. These are known as the Regents Core Requirements. Each student applying to Southern University at New Orleans must successfully complete the following coursework:
- 4 units of English
- English I, II, III, and IV
- 4 units of Mathematics
- Algebra I/Applied Algebra I/Algebra I-Pt. 2
- Geometry/Applied Geometry
- Algebra II
- Financial Math/Math Essentials/Advanced: Pre-Calculus/Advanced: Functions & Statistics/Pre-Calculus/Calculus/Probability and Statistics/Discrete Math/Approved Electives
- 4 units of Science
- 2 units from: Physical Science/Integrated Science/Physics I/Physics of Technology I/Aerospace Science/Biology II/Chemistry II/Earth Science/Environmental Science/Physics II/Physics of Technology II/Agriscience II/Anatomy and Physiology/Approved Electives (including approved IBC-related course)
- 4 units of Social Studies
- Civics/AP American Government + Free Enterprise (1/2 unit each)
- American History
- World History/World Geography/Western Civilization/AP European History
- World History/World Geography/Western Civilization/AP European History/Law Studies/Psychology/Sociology/Civics (2nd semester, 1/2 unit)/African American Studies/approved IBC-related course/(Religion I, II, III, IV for nonpublic schools)
- 2 units of Foreign Language
- 2 units from same language or 2 Speech courses
- 1 unit of Arts
- Fine Arts Survey or 1 unit: Art/Dance/Music/Theatre Arts/Applied Arts/approved IBC-related course
SUNO requires applicants to submit SAT or ACT scores for admission. Freshman applicants under 24 years of age must submit official SAT or ACT scores.
Applicants for whom English is their second language must submit scores for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) in addition to any other required test scores.
SAT – 1647 ACT – 1611 TOEFL – 6711