Plan to shelter in place, have three days of supplies for each person in your household, and stay informed. For pertinent information regarding the University, monitor your SUNO e-mail account, the SUNO Web site, social media and local media. The University also will send out important information via the SUNO Alert System. Click HERE to sign up.
Prepare to shelter in place
Gather what you'll need to shelter in place
- Non-perishable food for 3 days
- 3 gallons of water per person
- Manual can opener
- Flashlight & extra batteries
- Matches or lighter
- First Aid Kit
- Week’s supply of prescription medications
- Radio (battery operated or hand crank)
- Books & games
Prepare for power & water outages
- Sign up for the special needs registry if you need power for medical equipment. Call 311.
- Fill your bathtub with water to clean and flush toilets.
- Turn your fridge to its lowest temperature.
- Charge electronic devices.
- Preserve cell phone battery life.
- Stay away from low-hanging or downed power lines.
Prepare for a storm
Clean your property and street
- Remove debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Clear debris from catch basins. Report clogged catch basins to 311.
- Prune trees and shrubs.
- Bring outdoor furniture and decorations inside.
- Secure or bring garbage bins inside.
- Move possessions to your highest floor.
- Photograph your property for insurance purposes.
Secure your home
- Check your roof and siding for any loose pieces.
- Cover your windows with plywood or storm shutters.
- Secure boats and recreational vehicles.
- If you live in a trailer or mobile home, evacuate for any storm. Before you leave, do all the above and:
- Shut off fuel lines but do not disconnect them.
- Turn off water where it enters your home.
- Use both “over the top” and “frame” ties to secure your home.
More information: http://ready.nola.gov/