Director, Certificate-Only Program/Associate Professor, College of Education & Human Development
Why Students Choose Us
We prepare effective, caring and highly qualified teachers for any K-12 classroom. The nuts and bolts of the certification-only program is teaching and learning. To that end, our program welcomes former educators as well as educators in the making. We understand that intensive does not mean better and that fast-tracking does not equate to quality. Therefore, we strive to recruit the most qualified individuals to teach students; taking into consideration a review of past academic and professional performance.
In the College of Education and Human Development, our faculty members are experienced former K-12 teachers who espouse to the conceptual framework of preparing instructional leaders, continuous assessors, astute technologists, advocates for diversity and collaboration, and reflective practitioners. Students choose us because we offer a high quality teacher preparation program, affordable tuition and flexible class times that meet the need of the working adult.
- 96% retention rate
- 100% completer rate
- 98% of our students have been retained on their jobs as a result of completing our program
The College of Education and Human Development offers a certification only alternative teacher certification program for degreed students who wish to prepare for positions as early childhood, elementary or secondary school teachers. Students who have earned undergraduate degrees in areas other than education may pursue teacher certification as non-degree students through the College of Education and Human Development by completing education courses required for certification plus necessary specialty course requirements.
Secondary Education Content Areas
Admissions decisions are based on a review of past academic and professional performance. The minimum qualifications to be admitted into Southern University’s Certification-Only Program include the following:
- Bachelor’s degree with an undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- Passing scores on Praxis I (PPST scores are accepted if taken before implementation of Praxis I Core).
- An ACT composite score 22 or an SAT combined verbal and math score of 1030 may be substituted for Praxis I requirements. However, if any part of Praxis I has been taken, whether or not a passing score was achieved, the ACT/SAT option is forfeited. Individuals who have earned a Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university are exempt from Praxis I.
- Passing scores on the appropriate Praxis II content area exam.
Before submitting required documents to the Director of the Certification-Only Program, students must first apply for admission to Southern University at New Orleans and pay all application fees (Click here to apply).
After applying to the University, students must complete an application for the Certification-Only Program. Your application packet must include:
- A completed Certification-Only application (Click here for an application)
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended, whether a degree was earned or not. Former SUNO students must also submit official transcripts.
- Score reports for Praxis I and Praxis II content area.
After aggregating required documentation, schedule an appointment for an advising consultation with the Director of the Certification-Only Program. Office hours are 1-4 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays; and 1-4:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Submit the following form to schedule an appointment:
If you do not meet the admission requirements to enroll into SUNO’s Certification-Only Program, click here.