Southern University at New Orleans accepts students under the Louisiana Board of Regents minimum regional standard. Effective Fall 2012, these are the criteria that must be satisfied for admission to the University:
- Board of Regents' core 19 units: Those courses in the English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Foreign Language, and Arts categories as defined in the Core 4 Curriculum (for students graduating in 2012) listed in Louisiana Department of Education Bulletins 741 http://www.doe.state.la.us/bese/policies.html; AND
- Minimum overall high school GPA of 2.0; AND
- No more than one developmental course needed as demonstrated by the following minimum ACT sub scores: ACT English of 18 or above; ACT Math of 19 or above as per Board of Regents' Academic Affairs policy 2.18 http://regents.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=106; AND
- GPA on the core of 2.0 OR ACT composite score of 20.
An associate degree or 18 minimum college-level academic hours earned with a minimum GPA of 2.0.
First-time Freshmen: Meet the Board of Regents minimum admission standards for first-time freshmen with the Board of Regents' Core in place at time of graduation from high school.
Transfer Students: Meet the Board of Regents minimum admission standards for transfer students.
25 and Older
First-time Freshmen: Meet the University's admission requirements and not require any developmental courses, effective 2014.
Transfer Students: Meet the Board of Regents minimum standards for transfer students.
LOUISIANA BOARD OF REGENTS HIGH SCHOOL CORE REQUIREMENT FOR ADMISSION TO SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY AT NEW ORLEANS FOR FALL 2012
||English I, II, III, and IV
- Algebra I/Applied Algebra I/Algebra I-Pt. 2
- Geometry/Applied Geometry
- Algebra II
- Financial Math/Math Essentials/Advanced: Pre-Calculus/Advanced: Functions & Statistics/Pre-Calculus/Calculus/Probability and Statistics/Discrete Math/approved elective
- 2 units from: Physical Science/Integrated Science/Physics of Technology I/Aerospace Science/Biology II/Chemistry II/Earth Science/Environmental Science/Physics II/Physics of Technology II/Agriscience II/Anatomy of Physiology/approved elective (including approved IBC-related course)
|4 Social Studies
- Civics/AP American Government + Free Enterprise (1/2 unit each)
- American History
- World History/World Geography/Western Civilization/AP European History
- World History/World Geography/Western Civilization/AP European History/Law Studies/Psychology/Sociology/Civics (2nd semester, 1/2 unit)/African-American Studies/approved IBC-related course/(Religion I, II, III, IV for nonpublic schools)
|2 Foreign Language
||2 unites from same language or 2 Speech courses
||Fine Arts Survey or 1 unit: Art/Dance/Music/Theatre Arts/Applied Arts/approved IBC-related course
Please note that the application fee is $20; $35 for international students.
For additional information please contact the Office of Recruitment, Admissions & Retention at (504) 286-5314, or Mr. Shawn Vinnett, Interim Director, at email@example.com.